What is Agile Project Management?
Agile is a project management method based on iterative methodology, most typically used in Software, Website, Technology, Creative and Marketing industries. As the name implies, it aims to allow a high level flexibility. It also empowers individuals involved in the project and requires close collaboration with the customer or stakeholder.
Agile methods are best used for projects where you need to:
- Quickly release to Market
- Manage uncertainty, thus reducing risk
- Increase the team's reactivity to changing priorities
- Promote healthier customer-relationship
- Better Team Morale
Agile is an umbrella term for multiple methodologies revolving around the Agile Manifesto, including but not limited to:
- Lean / Kanban
- Extreme Programming (XP)
- Feature-Driven development (FDD)
- Dynamic Systems Development Method (DSDM)
Agile is often mistaken for lack of planning. On the contrary, it is a continuous planning method and it is recommended that 10% of each sprint should be allocated to planning the upcoming sprint.